Welcome to Long Whatton

All Saints Church

All Saints Church, photograph Andrew Cawdell

Village Defibrillators

Non Emergency Details

In an emergency dial 999, ask for Ambulance Service and follow instructions.

Picture Gallery

Village News Magazine Online

Long Whatton Weather Forecast

Skylink Timetable, Leicester - Derby

Skylink Timetable, Coalville - Nottingham

Village Events

Village Events

Businesses

Post Office and Village Shop
Tel 01509 842264

Manor Farmshop and Tearoom

The Falcon Inn

The Royal Oak

Whatton House and gardens

Harlow Bros Ltd

Movement Class

Oakley Reflexology

Charnwood Brewery

Self Storage

Oakley Cafe & Delicatessen

Andy's Upholstery

Yew Lodge Hotel

Charnwood Accountants

Primoit Computer sales & repair

Acacia, curtains & blinds

Soar Valley Services, gardens

GR Event Hire

Classified Advertisments

Churches, Clubs and Societies

Long Whatton And Diseworth Parish Council

All Saints Church

Long Whatton History Society

The Short Mat Bowls Club

The Bridge Club

The Methodist Church

The Baptist Church

Maternity Hospital and Register

Long Whatton and Diseworth Scouts

Long Whatton Cricket Club

Long Whatton Football club

Long Whatton Play Group

Long Whatton Ladies Womens Institute

The Community Association

Long Whatton Show

The Village Plan

Long Whatton Church of England Primary School

Soar Valley U3A

Art Group
Dave Want 01509 842562
Girl Guides/Brownies/YL
Glen Holt 07811 097621
Guides /Rangers
Louise Wright 07985 791412
Whatton Wailers
Andrew Randell 07890 204466
Friendship Centre
Bookings, lwfc@gmail.com
Nature Trail Andrew Towers, email: towers5067@btinternet.com
Nickolas J Ruston, NWLDC email: leader@leics.gov.uk

Long Whatton

Long Whatton is a small Village in North West Leicestershire, 5 miles from Loughborough, near East Midlands Airport and within easy reach of the cities of Leicester, Nottingham and Derby. It is also near the M1 and the A42/M42

The village gets its name from the Whatton Family, who originated in Picardy as a younger branch of the Tyrel Family. They settled at Whatton in the Vale, in Nottinghamshire, about the year A.D. 1100 and took the name of the place as the family name. Sir John Whatton seems to have acquired the Manor at Long Whatton from the Basset family as a second Seat. His son Robert Whatton moved there and seems to have given the place his name (previous name unknown). This happened in the early fourteenth century.

The only remains of the Family in Long Whatton Church is a broken blue flat stone, with the inscription "Pray for the soule of Robert Whatton, arm, whych decessed the V day of March, anno Dom MCCCXLII, On whose soule I. H. U. (i. e, Jesus) have mercy, amen. " and a description of his Coat of Arms.

The village was recorded as being a mile from East to West in the eighteenth Century and is situated in a shallow valley with a brook running from Belton and linking with a small brook from Diseworth. These water courses provide the likely basis for early human settlement. It is part of the combined parish of Long Whatton and Diseworth.

There is a bus service which goes from Leicester, Loughborough, East Midlands Airport, Castle Donnington and Derby. A similar Service runs from Coalville, Shepshed, East Midlands Airport, Long Eaton and Nottingham.

It has three churches. The Parish Church of All Saints is situated where Main Street joins the Green and Mill Lane. It has a 12th century Norman tower.

The Methodist Church is situated on Main Street and dates back to 1829, when a small Westleyan chapel was built. The present building was built in front of the chapel in 1912. The Baptist Church is near the West end of the village and was built in 1794 and was extended in 1838

The village School is situated opposite the parish church and was opened by Edward Dawson in 1847. It is a Church of England primary school

Originally there were four public houses in the village, King William 1V on the Green, The Boot Inn near the Baptist Church, The Falcon Inn on Main Street opposite Kegworth Lane and the Royal Oak on the Green. Only the last two are still operate as public houses.

The occupants of Whatton House situated off the A6, have been the dominant landowners in the village, It has been held by three families, the Dawsons, the Martins and the Brookes (Barons Crawshaw). During the Second World War from 1939 to 1945, Whatton House was converted into a Maternity Hospital, During this period 2324 babies were born to mothers evacuated, mainly from areas subjected to bombing

The village is served by two shops. The village shop and post Office on Main Street and Manor Farm shop, butchery, bakery and Tea Room also on Main Street