It is to this building that countless thousands have come down the years, bringing their babies for baptism, to be enfolded in the love of God in his family the Church. Couples have come to dedicate themselves to each other in love at their weddings. And in their grief, mourners have brought their loved ones at their life's end, offering them to the God from whence they came, and being reassured his love exceeds even the boundaries of death.
This building is made not only of stone, wood, and glass, but of the comfort, blessing and peace it offers all who enter.
It's work has been faithfully ministered since the 13th century, and thanks to the generosity of our forebears it continues today
Every Parish Church belongs to the community and not merely to those who worship regularly within its walls.
The on going costs of maintaining the building are increasing year by year but God continues to move people to dig deeply into their pockets to ensure that there will be a church in Long Whatton in the future.
Team Rector: Revd Lauretta Wilson; firstname.lastname@example.org
Len Wright 01509 844303, Edward Kennedy 01509 646730, email@example.com
First Sunday: Joint service with the Methodist Church; Venue odd months at All Saints Church, even months at the Methodist Church.
Second Sunday: Holy Communion, Common Worship All Saints at 10.30am
Third Sunday: Holy Communion, Common Worship All Saints at 10.30am
All Saints Church
The Tower, with 12 century Norman Architecture in its lower reaches is the earliest surviving feature. The North and South aisles were constructed in the 14th Century. In the late 15th century the Belfry stage with its battlemented parapet was added in the perpendicular style. During the 19th century there were major repairs to the Church. These included the truncation and rebuilding of the chancel and the reroofing of the nave and further substantial alterations to the building in the Early Decorated Style. These repairs were funded by the incumbent rectors, the generosity of the villagers and the Dawson Family of Whatton House.
Fixtures and fittings
The 12th century Norman Font, photograph Keith Murphy
The Chancel Screen is medieval and was brought from the ruined church of Colston Bassett bythe first Lord Crawshaw in 1894 in memory of his daughter Alice, photograph Keith Murphy
To commemorate Queen Victoria’s Jubilee in 1897, Lord Crawshaw donated a pulpit, which was obtained from St Mary’s Church, Great Shefford in Berkshire. It was originally erected in 1613. Photograph Keith Murphy
The marble urn commemorated the death of Mary Dawson, in 1779, by her husband Edward Dawson. His name was added upon his death in 1788, photograph Keith Murphy
The Church Stained Glass Windows
photographs Keith Murphy
This is dedicated to Mary Ethel, who died in 1914 and is the wife of the 2nd Baron Crawshaw
This window is dedicated to the memory of John Martin, who died in 1864 and lived at Whatton House
This window is dedicated to Catherine, who died in 1917 and is the wife of the 1st Baron Crawshaw