Whatton (LONG) is a parish and village near the Charnwood Forest, in the northern division of the county, West Goscote hundred, rural deanery of Akeley, Loughborough Union and County Court district. The village is clean and well built, several of the houses being modern, and is situated on the south bank of a small rivulet. It is 4½ miles N.W. by W. from Loughborough, 16½ N. W. from Leicester, 3 S.S.E. from Castle Donington, and about the same distance from Kegworth.
All Saints' Church is a neat Early English structure, having chancel, nave, aisles, and tower with clock and 3 bells. The chancel was rebuilt by the late rector in 1825, and the nave was new roofed and repaired in 1844-5 at the cost of about £500, mostly contributed by the late Mr. E. Dawson. The church was again restored in 1865, when it was repewed and refloored, part of the church rebuilt and the roof raised, at a cost of £1500, defrayed by subscription, to which the rector and the family of Mr. E. F. Dawson were the principal contributors. The Register dates from 1545. The living is a rectory of the yearly value of £380, derived from 250 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor.
The National school, with master's house is a neat and commodious building. and was erected at the cost of Mr. Dawson.
The Wesleyans and Baptists have each a chapel here. There is a good Horticultural Society here. Mr. William Lane's charity of £5 a year is distributed in bread to the poor. In the vicinity is Whatton, a pleasant mansion adjoining the old London and Manchester road.
Mr. E. F. Dawson, of Launde Abbey, is Lord of theManor, and he, with the rector and Mr. W. J. Martin, are the chief landowners. Area, 1957a. 1r. 5p. ; rateable value, £3826 17s. 6d. ; population in 1881, 702. The feast is in November.
ALL SAINTS' CHURCH.-Services on Sunday at 11 and 3. Communion on first Sunday in month.Wardens, Messrs. Henson & Wilkins ; Harmonium,
Mr. W. Thorpe ; Clerk, Henry Pepper. Ch. Hymns.
CHAPELS-Wesleyan, Sunday Services 2-30 and 6 ; Baptist, 10-45 and 6, Wednesday, 7-30. Deacons Messrs. W. Wilkins and G. Draper.
Letters through Loughborough, received about 9. Wall box cleared 4-15 on week- days only. The nearest Money Order and Telegraph offices are at Kegworth and Castle Donington.
Some of the Villagers
Barsby Mr. Joseph, Bott Mr. John, Brooks Mr. Thomas, Whatton hse, Elliott Thomas, wheelwright, Groves Isaac, blacksmith, Highton George, bootmaker
Mann Rev. Robt, M.A, the Rectory, Marlow John, police sergeant, Moorby -, master National school, Peat George, tailor, Peat Joseph, baker and grazier
Pepper Mr. Thomas, Watts John, bootmaker, White William, baker & shopkeeper, Wilkins Benjamin, bag hosier, Wilkins Jesse, joiner and builder
COTTAGERS AND COWKEEPERS.
Barker Charles | Alvey James, Cartledge Joseph, and coal dealer, Hutchinson John, Pepper Henry, and parish clerk
Draper Mrs. Alice, Draper Mrs. Sarah Ann, Elliott Mrs. Kate
FARMERS AND GRAZIERS.
Bacon John | Barsby George, Blake Horatio, h Knightthorpe, Cooper George, and miller, Daykin Frederick | Goodall Henry, Henson Daniel, Haydock Philip James Home farm,
Keetley Frederick, Park farm, Storer Frederick | Stubbs John, Thompson Richard
Cooke William Garner, and beer retailer and shopkeeper, Groves Henry | Jordan John, Peat William, and v, Boot, Sencecall Joseph, Ivy house
Townley Charles, Wilkins Mrs. Ann, and butcher
Burrows Thomas, Draper George, and tailor, Draper Urban | Elliott Mrs. Mary, Pritchard James, jun, and v, Falcon, White William, and baker
Peat William, grazier and v, Boot, Pritchard Jas, jun, grer & v, Falcon Whitehead Joseph, bhs, Royal Oak
Draper Mrs. Mary Ann, to Loughborough, Thursdays
This article was taken from C. N. Wright's Directory, December 1883